RANGE SAFETY BRIEFING
- Always use safe weapon handling and at all times point the muzzle of your weapons in a safe direction and fingers off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Always treat your weapon as loaded even in the break area.
A. On the firing line keep weapons grounded until a command has been given allowing you to handle your weapons. Take all commands from the tower.
B. Never handle your weapon with someone down range or in the front of the firing line.
- All weapons on the firing line have to be cleared before they are removed from the firing line by:
- Remove magazines.
- Lock the bolt to the rear.
- Place the selector on safe.
- All weapon barrels must be checked visually from the breach or by inserting a rod in to the barrel by a safety NCO.
- Follow all commands from the tower including enter and exit at the center of the firing range.
- Anyone can and should call a CEASE-FIRE when they notice an unsafe act by calling CEASE-FIRE and placing both hands in the air facing the tower. When a cease-fire has been called, place the selector on safe and ground your weapons.
- No firing should be attempted with a severely dirty weapon.
- All weapons must be well lubricated before they enter the range.
- Do not discharge your weapons outside your firing lane.
- Inspect your firing position before entering for snakes, insects and other animals.
- Left handed persons firing M16A1 rifles must use brass deflectors. Note M16A2 and newer rifles have the brass deflector build into the weapon.
- DO NOT SUBSTITUDE SANDBAGS WITH ROCKS. Rocks are no substitute for sandbags and can cause a very dangerous ricochet. All large rocks WILL be removed from the firing line before firing.
- Once cleared off the firing line, police up and return all excess live ammo and brass in your care to the ammo supply point.
- Smoke only in designated areas. A designated smoking area is normally an area with gravel surface and never in the buildings, ammo supply area and on the firing line.
- Knowledge and Safety becomes very important when a person is clearing a malfunctioning weapon. During live fire the shooter is only authorized to perform SPORTS. All other corrective actions require a QUALIFIED AMORER. All military regulations and procedures are to be followed.
Any comments/questions? Be sure to check out our Composite Risk Management subject area.